Upton Funeral Home was originally organized in 1922 by H. Turner Netherton in Moss, Tennessee. Netherton also owned a cabinet shop, and as was common at that time, he built the coffins used in the area. Since cars were scarce, he also used a horse-drawn hearse for transportation. In 1943, Netherton sold the business to Charlie Rich, who moved it to south Celina, on Highway 52. In August of 1949, Rich sold the funeral operation to Mr. and Mrs. Butler Upton and Mr. and Mrs. Estil Burnette. Butler was a graduate of Gupton-Jones College of Mortuary Science, and one of the first professionally trained embalmers in the area.
The beautiful old building which now houses Upton's started out as Montvale College. Several dignitaries attended the college, including Cordell Hull, who helped create the United Nations, and was a recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize. Over the years the building served as a school, a hotel and a private dwelling.
After the death of Butler, Phillip Anderson bought the funeral home. Anderson is not new to the funeral business. He started helping in the Hackett Funeral Home in Kempville when only 16 years of age, owning his first funeral business in 1977.
A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold. Proverbs 22:1